[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Unsubscribing from IAEP (Was: picked up by [some media])

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Thu Jun 25 21:02:13 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Jonas Smedegaard<dr at jones.dk> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 03:51:28PM +0200, Sean DALY wrote:
>>Actually the PR team, the marketing team and the publicist team today
>>are: the marketing team
>
> Whatever.  Please concider re-reading my mail, replacing "PR" with
> "marketing", and reflect on _that_ instead of my confusing those terms.
>

>>I'm subscribed to all the lists to be aware of what is going on but of
>>course the IAEP list is best for information of general interest to
>>contributors.
>
> The -devel list was _not_ my main concern.
>

> I will now, sadly, unsubscribe from IAEP - not because only geek stuff
> interests me (which is not true!), but because I feel that the list is
> getting too noisy for my taste.
>
> Back when I subscribed, I enjoyed its high quality educational focus of
> Since then, as Sugarlabs evolved, the list became more and more
> "cluttered" with organizational stuff that IMO were more appropriate to
> discuss at a seapare organizational list. I now realize that this _is_
> the organizational list and there are no separate place for educational
> discussions. It is a feature, not a bug, that this list gets more
> "noisy" as the project grows.  Makes sense, but does not it my capacity
> (I am already involved too deeply in other projects - cannot keep up
> with project-wide details of more).
>

> I will continue to package Sugar for Debian, and I might stay subscribed
> to sugar-devel (depending on the amount of "noise" on that list).
>
> I write this in the hope that reflecting on my decision is of some use
> to you (I worry that some educational interested people just silently
> unsubscribe, now and in the future).  I will happily subscribe again
> later, if situation changes - feel free to notify me if that happens (as
> I will now no longer keep track).
>
> You are most welcome to cc me any posts that you suspect might be of
> direct interest to me - and perhaps you even want my opinion on.

Thanks for the Feed Back Jonas.  I feel your pain.   You are one
hundred percent correct that iaep is the catchall list for the
project.  If a topic starts getting enough traffic, It will likely
branch off into a new list.

Hopefully, we will have enough eduction specific traffic to warrant
its own list in the near future.  But, to be honest, I think that will
take a lot of work.  On the bright side moodle has laid a lot of the
ground work in bringing the notions of community development and open
source to educators.

david