[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] Important: Please test the new Snapshot!

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat Jun 20 15:04:14 EDT 2009

On 20 Jun 2009, at 18:55, Sebastian Dziallas wrote:

> Caroline Meeks wrote:
>
>> Preloaded maps work fine. Is it too late to get anything else on
>> there?
>> Like the Sugar Manual?
>
> Well, we'd need to get this as a pdf file. And the description and
> tags for it. I'm not sure if this can be done in time. It's very
> very late for that. CC'ing Gary: What do you think?

No luck sorry, most of that content is out of date, also a PDF of the
whole document will likely OOM (out of memory) and display slowly on
low end netbooks.

My recommendation (if learners/folks like how the map Journal content
works for them) is that we break up the help document into smaller,
manageable PDF chapters/sections, leave out the out of date sections,
and then Journal tag and describe what we are left with. That way
something like the section on Walter's TurtleArt or other Activity
specific pages are valid even as base Sugar changes. Also each small
section can be updated as needed, out of phase with core release
cycle, rather than trying to build and update some single monster
document in phase with the release cycle (when everyone is already too
busy to help).

I'm hoping (real) learners will appreciate the Journal approach, need
to see the feedback, and then (if good) make a real push to get more
content into the next cycle. Ideally I'd like for a Journal entry and
 >>> all its meta-data <<< to be easily downloaded from a web server,
that way we can distribute such content using ASLO, direct into folks
Journals (and have a place to store and manage the changes, updates,
different languages etc).

Regards,
--Gary