[Sugar-devel] Getting Sugar to run on certain mac chipsets

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Thu Jun 18 09:23:38 EDT 2009

We've been having an issue on some newer macs with the screen going blank.
Deds and Pauline have been working on the issue and here is what they have
discovered that works.

Note that this is using standard keyboard and not the apple one.  If using
apple keyboard you might need to change the keys you press.  The following
is what I did:

   1. I plugged the latest SoaS (Soas2-200905241902.iso) and boot helper
   (soas-boot-20090615.iso) in the mac mini and then booted up.
   2. At the sound of the chime, I immediately pressed the ALT key until the
   boot options appear.  (options that appeared on the mac mini are Macintosh
   HD and Windows, with Windows pertaining to the SoaS)
   3. Select Window.
   4. As soon as you see the blue screen which says automatically logging in
   n seconds... Press the TAB key.  This should display the boot menu
   5. At the boot menu press the TAB key to display the kernel boot
   parameters.
   6. At the end of the displayed parameters, type "nomodeset" and press
   ENTER. This should start up sugar

So what does nomodeset actually do?

It disables this https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KernelModesetting

Introduced in FC10 but has been having problems with some graphic chipsets
(including Intel GMA 950 which is in the Mac Mini).  AFAICT it can be safely
disabled with no adverse effects on stability.

Is there a way we can modify SoaS so that mac users don't have to do this
but it still works for everyone?

--
Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove