[Sugar-devel] testing composition for speeding up graphics performance

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Jun 17 14:00:01 EDT 2009

On 16 Jun 2009, at 20:50, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> we are considering using the composite extension in order to improve
> the perceived graphics performance of Sugar.
>
> It would be great if someone could test it by running the following.
>
> As root: "yum install xcompmgr"
> As normal user in the terminal activity: "xcompmgr -a"
>
> And report any performance improvements when switching windows,
> sliding the frame in and out, and any other operations that involve
> redrawing parts of the screen.

Yes, looked frame and pop-up menus seems smoother/cleaner XO-1 SoaS
0.84.

I did notice one minor issue regarding the  3 types of zoom view
(Neighbourhood/Group/Home). When you switch to one from an Activity
you briefly get shown the last zoom view before the one you actually
chose is re-drawn. Example; you're in the Neighbourhood view, you
switch to the Journal, you switch to the Home view and briefly see the
old Neighbourhood first before the redraw catches up and shows you Home.

Regards,
--Gary