[Sugar-devel] Sugar Digest 2009-06-15

NoiseEHC NoiseEHC at freemail.hu
Mon Jun 15 17:33:49 EDT 2009

> My major concern against porting to Android is that Java is a horrible
> language, even with the nice Android libs. Google have said that they
> will add more languages, though.

Yes, java sucks. IMHO it does not matter though since mostly activities
consists of <1000 lines of code.
> A more long term solution would be using PyPy, since it has
> significantly lower memory usage and better optimisation prospects.
> Switching to PyBank for bindings should also help.

Or retargeting Python to the DEX format.

The real deal is that Android will be pushed by all the carriers and ARM
vendors. In my humble opinion it will be the dominant phone OS in the
future with even more hardware support (just try out the Android SDK, it
is multi platform with an emulator). Jumping to this massive smartbook
bandwagon could push the OLPC idea further without any hardware development.

ps:
If you did not see the video then the current plan is to sell those
smartbooks for 0$ via G3 phone carrier subsidy. It can became a HUGE market.