[Sugar-devel] Problem using sugar-update-control to update large (100+ MB) activity bundles

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Mon Jun 15 09:25:10 EDT 2009

We soon need to roll out updated version of Nepal's custom suite of
activities, E-Paath. The updated bundle weighs in at a whopping 180 MB
zipped and 300 MB unzipped. We have found it impractical to use the
sugar-update-control mechanism to update the bundle. While E-Paath is
large, the updated bundle is only 30% different than the currently
deployed bundle.

Updating E-Paath with sugar-control-update from Sugar 0.82 currently
takes 17 minutes. And that is w/ XO updating against the XS. I figure it
would be at least 3x longer w/ 30 XO's updating at once, if many of the
updates don't completely stall out. 40 minutes is simply too long in a
chaotic classroom environment.

I would like to know if the newer version of sugar-control-update
http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sugar-update-control/repos/mainline/blobs/master/src/model.py only transfers the differences between the new and old bundles, thus making the update process much faster. I have stared at the code myself for about 30 minutes and I can't tell. If the newer version of the sugar-update-control is much faster, how much trouble would it be to backport it to 0.82, if even possible?

While E-Paath is a particularly large activity there are other
activities that are of significant size such as the big GCompris bundle.
wikipedia.xo, and hopefully more in the future.

Bryan W. Berry
Technology Director
OLE Nepal, http://www.olenepal.org