[Sugar-devel] [sugar-devel]engineering the moodle-print communication

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 17:00:08 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 10:03 PM, Vamsi Krishna
Davuluri<vamsi.davuluri at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think i've been working on the wrong moodle, I've been working
> with the default moodle installation found at moodle.org. How do I
> get everything XS-Moodle specific? A quick google search points
> me  to this:
> http://docs.moodle.org/en/OLPC_XS_installation
> Should I proceed with that?

No. You'll want to base your work on

 - testing against the OLPC XS - grab the recent 0.6dev2 install image
from http://xs-dev.laptop.org/xs/other/
 - the 'moodle' git tree at http://dev.laptop.org/git

there is a good post on how to test (and develop) moodle on an XS in
the 'server-devel' archives. I normally search the archives with a
site-scoped search like
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Alists.laptop.org%2Fpipermail%2Fserver-devel+testing+moodle

>>I'd encourage handling the queue from moodle's cron. See admin/cron.php
>
> right, this seems to be exact thing i'd need for dynamic clean-ups.
> Anything dynamic like a queue.

Right. Moodle cron handling triggers every 5 minutes. If you want
something more often we can explore options. In any case, we can look
at that later.

>>I'm not sure what your UIs look on the Sugar side,
>
> the sugar side, my plan morphed into a completely new Print activity
> The print activity can read any sugar supported mime and convert it
> to pdf, and send to moodle etc through a new toolbar.
> Thats about it.

So it's no longer an extension of the Journal?

>>but we could
>>leverage your work into being a "publish into moodle and/or print"
>>action. "Push to moodle where everyone can see it and (if there's a
>>printer) the teacher gets and extra button to print".
>
> You mean the teacher gets a print button within sugar or within
>  moodle?

Within Moodle. There are two 'views' that I suspect are interesting

1 - the user page, in its 'print queue' tab
2 - a 'course print queue' page in a module, showing all the new /
outstanding documents from all course members

#2 makes me think that this is a more powerful thing than just 'printing'.

> hmm, I will have to look into how to do this within the scope of a group.
> also, on my default moodle installation a student can't see the
> 'users page' (i'd guess i can set permissions on that somewhere)

I mean "user's page" as in: the page of a particular user.

> Hope, you won't mind the newbie questions, i've done everything
> on moodle almost by myself, I will definitely be lacking much.

No problem. Next week my life will be much calmer, and I'll be more
than happy to have a chat with you.

Apologies again that I'm not more available,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions