[Sugar-devel] Library-1 Feedback

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Tue Jun 2 11:50:26 EDT 2009

Aleksey,

I was eager to try your Library activity but I couldn't get to it until
last night because my XO is running .82.  I had to use SoaS to bring it
up.  I have to say it's a good first effort at this and I was
impressed.  I think it will be a valuable addition to Sugar.  Now the
feedback:

1).  There is a bug in the Description field when you View Details for a
Journal entry.  I found this out when I placed a Description for Volume
9 of the Works of Jules Verne.  The description read "Off on a Comet!",
the name of the novel in Volume 9.  After that it seemed like *every*
Journal entry had that description.  So that needs checking out.

2).  I like the tagging mechanism pretty well, and I like that there is
always an attribute for Author plus any number of tags that can be used
for any purpose.  I was surprised that the "Tags" do not seem to be
stored in the "tags" meta data in the Journal.  I had modified Read
Etexts to store the author name of a downloaded book in that field,
thinking that when the Library activity was ready all the downloaded
books would be pre-tagged.  It didn't work that way.  I still like the
idea of having books downloaded through Read Etexts be pre-tagged with
at least Author, and possibly things like Subject, Language, etc.  I'll
have to look at the source of your Activity to see how to make that
possible.

3).  In a previous email I confessed to not knowing what a "tag cloud"
was.  Now that it has been explained I've been seeing the damned things
everywhere.  I even saw one at a meeting for my own company.  I like
yours, with some reservations.  My problem is you use the Activity
bundle id as a tag.  If I have a Library full of downloaded ebooks I'd
expect the largest tags to be the author with the most titles, the
subjects with the most books, maybe if I had comics in there I would
have a big tag saying "Comics".  In your cloud the biggest font will
always be for the bundle id for Read Etexts.  I can already filter the
Journal so it only shows Read Etexts entries, so I don't really need to
do that for Library.  Personally, I'd leave these bundle ids out of the
cloud.  I notice you also have MIME types in there, or at least I saw
the word "zip".  I wouldn't think that those would belong either.

4).  In previous emails I had wished for a way to mark individual
Journal entries so they would open by default with either Read Etexts or
View Slides.  Over the weekend I learned a lot about how Journal entries
are created and realized that I didn't need the Journal to do this for
me.  My Activities could do this for themselves, while still allowing
other Activities to open their Journal entry by MIME type.  Your
Activity lets me organize my Journal entries in ways the Journal can't,
making a lot of the discussion we had about the Journal last week moot.
I'm looking forward to the version of your Activity that runs on .82.

5).  I know this version doesn't support sharing yet, but I'm curious
how you will indicate that a Journal entry is eligible to be shared.

6).  I think this Activity will need a Tutorial of some kind built into
it.  I don't think a person seeing this Activity for the first time will
understand what it is for and how it works.  Your user interface is OK.
It's just the idea of the Activity is a bit sophisticated to be grasped
by a first time user.

James Simmons