[Sugar-devel] Dynamic content collections for Browse Journal (Emle).

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Tue Jun 2 14:12:32 EDT 2009

On 2 Jun 2009, at 16:02, C.W. Holeman II wrote:

> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Application_Stack
> shows the replacement of the special .xol format for browse with the
> more general Journal.
>
> http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/840
> "Populate Journal with a handful of useful/exemplary items" seems to
> consider
> PDF  the prefered choice for documents.

Well, not so much preferred, just a very easy option, and covers most
of the actual content bundles I've seen made available so far (apart
from some audio content which would also work fine if desired in the
Journal).

> But there are dynamic HTML documents
> that are designed for exactly the kind of environment that OLPC/Sugar
> wants to promote. A "hello, world"  example which produces dynamic
> HTML
> should be in this collection.
>
> Emle - Electronic Mathematics Laboratory Equipment is just such an
> application/document. It runs in Browse. It is composed of HTML, XML,
> and CSS. It uses Javascript and  XSLT to produce a dynamic HTML,
> CSS, DOM,
> SVG and Javascript document. It is not a collection static of images
> and/or
> words. It is a tool to allow students to interact with
> visualizations of math
> concepts.

Thanks for the link! I'd never seen this mentioned before, do you know
if any deployments are currently using it? I've not tried it yet but
will test it and take a look.

There are two approaches if this is an Activity deployers are using
(or would like too):

1). Wrap the html content inside a web activity so that it becomes a
first class citizen in the Sugar interface (several Activities have
taken this approach already).

2). For the 0.86 roadmap, Browse is scheduled to get support for
opening zipped up web sites. Very similar to the old .xol but with
minimal authoring requirements (i.e it's just a zip of the file
structure in a web page/site), and will work right out of, and with
the Journal – tagging, searching and all that gorgeous Journal stuff.

> The collection on a web server:
> http://emle.sourceforge.net/emle020405/emle_index.html
>
> The web site is:
> http://emle.sf.net
>
> The tar ball package is:
> http://downloads.sourceforge.net/emle/emle020405_BL0011.tar.
>
> This can be used as a "hello world" example for (dynamic) Browse
> collections.
> It is designed to be expanded with more Labs, Equipment and features.
>
> HowTo Contribute to Emle - Introduction:
> http://emle.sourceforge.net/emle020405/dev/
> contribute_introduction.html

Thanks for the links, will take a look.

Regards,