[Sugar-devel] Differing font sizes on the XO and in Sugar Emulation

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Jun 1 12:32:14 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 18:26, James Simmons <jim.simmons at walgreens.com> wrote:
> This weekend I attempted to resolve a bug report on Read Etexts where
> there was some strange behavior with font resizing.  When I investigated
> I remembered how this bug came to be.
>
> It seems that if you DON'T explicitly set a font in your Sugar Activity
> it will look identical in sugar-emulator and on an XO.  Unfortunately if
> you *do* set a font what looks like a reasonable sized font in the
> development environment will be a MUCH LARGER font on the XO.  My goal
> with Read Etexts was to give a text view with the default font and allow
> the users to make it larger or smaller, just like Read has the Zoom In
> and Zoom Out feature.  Now there does not seem to be a way to find out
> what font a text viewer is currently using.  All you can do, from what I
> have seen, is to set it to a font and then change the font you have
> set.  I wanted to set it to "sans 12".  Looks good in sugar-emulator,
> ridiculously large on the XO.

Hmm, setting a fixed font size of 10 should give you the same font
size as used anywhere in the UI.

> Any insight on this problem would be appreciated.  I tried the following
> code from one of Tomeu's postings:
>
> from sugar.graphics import style
> pango.FontDescription("sans %d" % style.zoom(72))

We don't need to scale ourselves any more because Pango is already
doing it for us.

In the last soas image I have (almost one month old), the XO has a
very small font size, not sure why but I will try a more recent one.

Regards,

Tomeu