[Sugar-devel] Current State of OLPC (XO) and Sugar on a Stick

Art Hunkins abhunkin at uncg.edu
Thu Jul 30 17:42:28 EDT 2009

*Revised* comprehensive test - working with Csound materials
in the context of the OLPC (XO) and Sugar on a Stick. Here are the results.
I'd appreciate continued help to resolve the outstanding issues.

Three tests:
Test 1: Running a .csd file from the terminal. ALSA driver specified
Test 2: Running a .csd file from python from the terminal. No audio driver
specified.
Test 3: Running a .csd file as part of an Activity (python script) within
Sugar. No driver specified.

Context 1: On the OLPC (XO) computer (OLPCsound - 5.08.91) - out of the box
Test 1: ran fine; ALSA driver used
Test 2: ran fine; ALSA driver used
Test 3: ran fine; ALSA driver used
  Obviously no problems here - except the limitation to OLPCsound (5.08)

I configured a completely new USB stick (in Windows) to run the remaining
tests.

Context 2: Sugar on a Stick - out of the box (OLPCsound - 5.08.91) - no
updates
Test 1: ran fine; ALSA driver used
Test 2: fails - cannot import csnd (note: csound-python is not present)
Test 3: fails - during import _csnd; in libcsnd.so.5.1: undefined symbol:
csoundGetInputBuffer
  Note: csnd.py, _csnd.so etc. *are* present in the /site-packages folder

Context 3: SoaS with updates-testing update csound (to 5.10.1-9.fc11),
and updates-testing install csound-python (to same version):
Test 1: ran fine; ALSA driver used
Test 1 rerun, with *no driver specified*: fails - "unknown rtaudio module:
"PortAudio"
  This is the new audio driver glitch I referred to in a previous mail.
  Note that the original (OLPCsound [5.08]) install doesn't suffer this
problem.
Test 2: fails - error in csnd.py: import _csnd. No module named _csnd
Test 3: fails - error in csnd.py: import _csnd. No module named _csnd

Notes:
*The Context 3 "upgrade" requires the following (revised) commands to get
the right (latest) builds of both Csound and csound-python installed*:
su
yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update csound
yum --enablerepo=updates-testing install csound-python

Thanks to Peter for correcting me on this, and for his ongoing efforts to
get this all working.

Art Hunkins