[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] community influence on development

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Thu Jul 30 16:23:07 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 04:17:56PM -0300, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 28.07.2009, at 07:22, Martin Dengler wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 03:24:13PM +0545, Daniel Drake wrote:
> >
> >> However, I feel like it could be better if the community (who I
> >> might even stretch to call "customers") could have more influence.
> >> [...]  What are the options for the community having more of an
> >> influence here?
> >
> > Influence on whom?  Developers?  There are no SugarLabs employed
> > developers.
>

> But if we get feedback from the "front line", from teachers actually
> using our software in the field, the volunteer developers I know
> struggle to find a way to make it easier for them. Nothing beats
> direct contact with children of course, but even meeting teachers from
> the deployments and hearing first-hand accounts of the problems (and
> successes!) is rather motivating. Reading these reports on a mailing
> list is less emotionally moving but still a great hint at how to
> prioritize one's spare time.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but I'm struggling to see how
it's relevant to the OP or my reply.  Perhaps by "the volunteer
developers I know struggle to find a way to make it easier for them"
you're implying that we need to make it easier for volunteer
developers to contribute?

> The problem is we get way too few feedback.

Indeed.

> - Bert -

Martin