[Sugar-devel] Transifex

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 09:18:33 EDT 2009

Hello,
I think we used to use the Fedora transifex installation at some point
in 2007 before moving to Pootle.
Currently from what I understand, Transifex is mainly used as a
gateway between the upstream VCS and the translator - where the
translator uploads a PO file, and Tx takes care of sending it to the
relevant VCS. In that respect, it provides a subset of what Pootle
provides and the Tx page seems to agree:

"As a content distribution platform, Tx's goal is to offer a
full-featured backend service to tools such as Pootle, handling file
fetching and delivery to remote hosting systems. "[1]

Tx has recently got its own web based translation editing system[2] -
though I've not used it myself and don't know how feature complete it
is (eg: whether it supports plural forms, or whether it supports
alternate languages, etc etc). IMO, web based translation is extremely
important for us, to lower the barrier to entry.
Given the current feature list of Tx, I think Pootle gives us most of
what is there, except for syntax checking (which I have tried to
workaround with a ugly and somewhat ineffective hack). I think at this
point it would be best to stick to Pootle, keeping our options open
for the future (which is going to get a lot more interesting,
especially now that Launchpad is open source, and both Pootle and Tx
people working on their next major release)

Thanks,
Sayamindu

[1] http://transifex.org/wiki/About
[2] http://www.ogmaciel.com/?p=718