[Sugar-devel] Initial implementation of toolbars design

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Tue Jul 28 07:40:11 EDT 2009

On 07/28/2009 02:51 AM, Gary C Martin wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> On 27 Jul 2009, at 22:26, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>
>> On 07/18/2009 04:17 AM, Gary C Martin wrote:
>>> Hi Caroline,

>>> Yes that's an interesting one... I have more understanding of usability
>>> studies with literate adults, where you can have a controlled
>>> environment. With the idea that you set goals/tasks to be completed with
>>> the interface and ask the user to vocalise what they think they are
>>> doing ("I'm clicking this because I think it's the search button...").
>>> You only interact with them once they are clearly stuck, to help them
>>> get back on track. Asking for any-ones opinion is usually frowned upon
>>> in usability studies, as opinion is almost always different from actual
>>> behaviour – but some opinions are better than nothing, which is why I
>>> keep asking :-)
>>>
>>> Perhaps I should work with Walter and Aleksey's initial toolbar code and
>>> make an identical test clone of TA but with the new toolbar design (I
>>> can use Aleksey's Write mock-up code as an example)? Then you could let
>>> the class (or a random selection of the class) use it for some tasks and
>>> watch how well (or not) they manage with the new interface?
>>>
>>> Simon: have you used TA yet in your lessons?
>>
>> Yes, the problem is, that I won't get into class before September
>> again - we have summer holidays :/
>>
>> About the design - as already noted, the current implementation does
>> not match gary's mockups. I think the mockups are more consistent in
>> using icons in the primary toolbar. Having the text entry field
>> (activity name) present, could help the users that know Sugar already.
>> They would not feel that much lost.
>>
>> Can we get mockups for Browse? I would do the changes then there.
>
> Sure, will do.

After discussing with Tomeu and Aleksey we thought about providing a
widget for the standard toolbar. Looking at your mockups this would be:

title entry, [...], keep button, stop button

The sharing one can be optional - as not all activities have the sharing
facilities. Does that sound good?

Other thoughts?

Thanks,
    Simon