[Sugar-devel] Initial implementation of toolbars design

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Tue Jul 28 11:24:06 EDT 2009

On 28 Jul 2009, at 12:40, Simon Schampijer wrote:

> On 07/28/2009 02:51 AM, Gary C Martin wrote:
>> Hi Simon,

>>> Yes, the problem is, that I won't get into class before September
>>> again - we have summer holidays :/
>>>
>>> About the design - as already noted, the current implementation does
>>> not match gary's mockups. I think the mockups are more consistent in
>>> using icons in the primary toolbar. Having the text entry field
>>> (activity name) present, could help the users that know Sugar
>>> already.
>>> They would not feel that much lost.
>>>
>>> Can we get mockups for Browse? I would do the changes then there.
>>
>> Sure, will do.
>
> After discussing with Tomeu and Aleksey we thought about providing a
> widget for the standard toolbar. Looking at your mockups this would
> be:
>
> title entry, [...], keep button, stop button
>
> The sharing one can be optional - as not all activities have the
> sharing facilities. Does that sound good?

Sounds good.

> Other thoughts?

1). I was hoping for more feedback before we lock things down, but
it's been pretty quiet. I was hoping to hack TurtleArt with a
temporary toolbar imitation and get some real usability input from
kids, but not sure we have the time?

2). Is it possible to have the "title entry" input field default width
set to allow for 9 icons on the right (this is the maximum needed for
current Activity designs), then allow it scale down to some min width
if extra icons are added? I would rather there was a little
flexibility in the "title entry" rather than have the "Stop" and
"Keep" buttons be the first to disappear.

3). FWIW, I'm considering the "share with" icon should really be over
on the right (if sharing feature are present). So the far right icon
order would be "share with", "keep version", "stop".

Regards,
--Gary