[Sugar-devel] Initial implementation of toolbars design

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon Jul 27 17:26:20 EDT 2009

On 07/18/2009 04:17 AM, Gary C Martin wrote:
> Hi Caroline,
>
> On 17 Jul 2009, at 22:14, Caroline Meeks wrote:
>
>> We can put it in front of actual kids once you get a sample working.
>> We could even try playing the video for our existing classes. I don't
>> know if they'll be able to give you feedback from just seeing the
>> video. Might be interesting to find out.
>
> Yes that's an interesting one... I have more understanding of usability
> studies with literate adults, where you can have a controlled
> environment. With the idea that you set goals/tasks to be completed with
> the interface and ask the user to vocalise what they think they are
> doing ("I'm clicking this because I think it's the search button...").
> You only interact with them once they are clearly stuck, to help them
> get back on track. Asking for any-ones opinion is usually frowned upon
> in usability studies, as opinion is almost always different from actual
> behaviour – but some opinions are better than nothing, which is why I
> keep asking :-)
>
> Perhaps I should work with Walter and Aleksey's initial toolbar code and
> make an identical test clone of TA but with the new toolbar design (I
> can use Aleksey's Write mock-up code as an example)? Then you could let
> the class (or a random selection of the class) use it for some tasks and
> watch how well (or not) they manage with the new interface?
>
> Simon: have you used TA yet in your lessons?

Yes, the problem is, that I won't get into class before September again
- we have summer holidays :/

About the design - as already noted, the current implementation does not
match gary's mockups. I think the mockups are more consistent in using
icons in the primary toolbar. Having the text entry field (activity
name) present, could help the users that know Sugar already. They would
not feel that much lost.

Can we get mockups for Browse? I would do the changes then there.

When doing testing we should maybe do tests for people that have used
Sugar before already, and probands with no knowledge of Sugar at all.

Regards,
    Simon

Btw: I was lost a bit with that the canvas is only shifted down when the
toolbar is locked. But I guess it makes sense, in order to have not
shifting the canvas down when you search for an option and pulling down
the different toolbars. Not sure, yet.