[Sugar-devel] Book bundles and Read

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Fri Jul 24 12:50:08 EDT 2009

Hi James,

On 24 Jul 2009, at 15:21, Jim Simmons wrote:

> Gary,
>
> I was thinking myself that enhancing Get Internet Archive Books to
> deal with local zip files of books as well as the Internet would be a
> possible approach.  Currently GIAB produces and can be resumed from a
> Journal entry but does nothing with it.  I might change that so it can
> be resumed from a file of MIME type application/zip.  If it is resumed
> from that it would check the Zip file for the catalog XML file and
> build a user interface using that.

You might want to consider having the .zip file with a different
extension (like we have .xo and .xol, or mozilla's .jar). That way you
can have GIAB be the default rather than needing to use 'resume with -
 >' in current Sugar (in 0.82.x Sugar you have to dig into the Journal
details view toolbar).

OT: There was a University project working on a "Bundle" activity but
it seems to have died a death, maybe I should try and pick this one
up. We could really do with a clean/simple Bundle Activity that would
deal with any regular .zip (perhaps some other archive formats too)
and allow items to be selected & extracted to the Journal, and the
reverse operation where you can pick objects from the Journal (using
ObjectChooser) for bundling together into a zip (or other format).
This is really just a Sugar friendly gui for zip/unzip.

> Maybe there would be a toolbar tab
> named "USB" for this interface.

How about another drop down menu next to the one you currently use for
selecting Deja Vu, pdf download formats? It could also allow for other
resource locations you may decide to add in the future "Internet
Archive", "Project Guttenberg", "USB", "Schoolserver".

> Resuming from a thumb drive does not present any security problems,
> and I'd only read it, not write to it.

Might just want to check you are not sandboxed in by Rainbow from
reading as well (I can't remember).

Regards,
--Gary