[Sugar-devel] Book bundles and Read

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Thu Jul 23 13:28:10 EDT 2009

Hi James,

On 23 Jul 2009, at 16:52, Jim Simmons wrote:

> Yesterday I had an email exchange with Scotty Auble of the Rural
> Design Collective project who have a list of 2,000 some odd books they
> want to distribute to Sugar users without requiring them to have
> Internet access.  The thought I had was Zip archives with a catalog
> file, perhaps in Dublin Core format, and a new Activity that would
> look inside these archives, generate a browsable catalog from the
> catalog file, and allow the child to select the books he likes and
> create Journal entries for them.  I copied this email to the IAEP list
> but not here.
>
> I agree with the points Gary is making below and wonder if we need a
> different kind of bundle that can be used to distribute collections of
> books without requiring the child to install the whole collection.

Just wondering. If I had a USB stick with 2,000 pdf, plain text,
etext, djvu, epub etc files on it... if they are at least reasonably
well titled file names (lets say at least title, author), then a child
can:

1). pop in the USB stick
2). goto the Journal and select the external USB stick icon
3). search and/or browse the books by author / title
4). any entry they want can be dragged to their Journal icon
5). ...or clicking any object entry will both start it for reading and
copy it into the childs Journal

FWIW some find step 5 a limitation or design bug for Sugar, in that
you can't work with files on external media that are larger than the
free space you have left in your Journal. Step 4 could be better, as
the icon for your Journal (appears in a bottom tray when additional
media devices are present), is actually an XO kid icon, would be more
logical to show the Journal icon I think. Step 3 clearly could be
prettier but would require some way of generating live previews for
the entries currently in view (and then you could use the proposed
Journal grid view to view book covers).

It's also worth noting that although directory structure of the
external media is not displayed directly (Journal shows a flattened
list of all files), the full directory path to the file is placed in
its description field. This is all fully searchable data, so you could
put all the Lewis Carroll books in a folder of that name, and that
would be enough to allow you to query Journal for them.

So just some well chosen directory names (by author seems sensible),
and consistently well named files (i.e full title of book) would make
quite an accessible solution. Perhaps if there's interest, we can
polish some of the above steps to make it even smoother in 0.86?

Regards,
--Gary