[Sugar-devel] Gnash gtk+ widget support

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Jul 20 05:04:54 EDT 2009

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 23:30, Walter Bender<walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Gary C Martin<gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
>> Hi Tomeu,
>>
>> Given that gnash, with the correct gtk+ python support, is not going
>> to be here officially until F12 (November), does that make your gnash
>> gtk+ work as something more reasonable to push*** for in the Sugar
>> 0.88 time-scale?
>>
>> Hmmm, I guess that's actually more a distro question, if say a future
>> SoaS or OLPC release decided to install custom gnash rpms, out side of
>> the official Fedora release, then we could have support for your
>> widget in a build with Sugar 0.86 (or even existing 0.84 using your
>> set of rpms if it was considered essential for some specific content
>> set).
>>
>> *** by push I mean creating/porting some Flash Activities (other than
>> demonstrators - BTW if the eatboom swf really can't be fixed, I'd be
>> happy to re-code the game from scratch, would only take me a day or so
>> at most, that would be a fallback position if you just wanted a known
>> working Flash sample for other developers).
>
> Knowing nothing about Flash development, I wonder how difficult it
> would be to write the game from scratch in Python instead...
>
> It would be worth having solid Gnash support, but I would rather our
> energies went into helping build a solid set of Python examples than
> Flash examples...

Agreed, the Gnash widget is for running existing content on Sugar.
Flash movies in .fla format such as IFL's cannot be modified in Sugar
nor anywhere unless you pay lots of money or use pirated software.

Exists the possibility of developing new Flash content with free
tools, but that will be much harder than just using python or Karma.

Regards,

Tomeu