[Sugar-devel] Language control panel broken: Chinese + Russian displayed

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 08:35:55 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Tomeu Vizoso<tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 01:54, Edward Cherlin<echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> There are serious bugs in language switching in My Settings (the Sugar
>> Control Panel).
>
> Would be better to track each of these issues in individual tickets at
> dev.sugarlabs.org.
>
>> One is that switching to a language can result in bits of some other
>> language appearing, and switching back does not necessarily restore
>> the original language entirely. I have attached a portion of a screen
>> shot showing mixed Russian and Chinese, even though English is set.
>
> Maybe these languages have poor 0.84 coverage and you have set them
> one on top of another so when a string is not found in a language, it
> tries to find it in the other one?

Yes - I think that is the likely explanation.

>> Also, if you add another language menu with the button provided, and
>> select two different languages on them, it is not obvious how to
>> switch. It turns out that clicking on the menu showing the desired
>> language, and reselecting the displayed selection, is not interpreted
>> as a request to change languages. It appears to be necessary to select
>> something else, and then go back and select the language desired.
>>
>> Third, the + button sometimes disappears.
>
> Not sure about these two, perhaps Sayamindu can comment.

Please file a bug for the second one with exact steps to reproduce
(eg: with example language names, etc)

Regarding #3, I think the + button will disappear when you choose
English(USA), since English (USA) does not have any translation (as in
translations in PO files) and will invariably cause a fallback to the
second language. Are there any other cases where you are seeing this ?

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta