[Sugar-devel] Initial implementation of toolbars design

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Fri Jul 17 22:17:19 EDT 2009

Hi Caroline,

On 17 Jul 2009, at 22:14, Caroline Meeks wrote:

> We can put it in front of actual kids once you get a sample
> working.  We could even try playing the video for our existing
> classes. I don't know if they'll be able to give you feedback from
> just seeing the video.  Might be interesting to find out.

Yes that's an interesting one... I have more understanding of
usability studies with literate adults, where you can have a
controlled environment. With the idea that you set goals/tasks to be
completed with the interface and ask the user to vocalise what they
think they are doing ("I'm clicking this because I think it's the
search button..."). You only interact with them once they are clearly
stuck, to help them get back on track. Asking for any-ones opinion is
usually frowned upon in usability studies, as opinion is almost always
different from actual behaviour – but some opinions are better than
nothing, which is why I keep asking :-)

Perhaps I should work with Walter and Aleksey's initial toolbar code
and make an identical test clone of TA but with the new toolbar design
(I can use Aleksey's Write mock-up code as an example)? Then you could
let the class (or a random selection of the class) use it for some
tasks and watch how well (or not) they manage with the new interface?

Simon: have you used TA yet in your lessons?

Regards,
--Gary