[Sugar-devel] updating from aslo

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Thu Jul 16 12:23:37 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Daniel Drake<dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-07-15 at 10:17 -0500, David Farning wrote:
>> Attached is a very early prototype of a sugar updater which pulls from ASLO.
>>
>> It kind-of works on jhbuild;-/ To test, unzip and drop it into
>> sugar-jhbuild/install/share/sugar/extensions/cpsection.
>>
>> run using 'install/share/sugar/extensions/cpsection/updater/model.py'
>>
>> Big Issues:
>> The GUI interface is reporting a network error.
>
> I personally feel that this kind of approach is not a great idea, but I
> suppose it depends who your target users are.

A possible answer would be to abstract ALSOParse.py and microformat.py
as back ends for Sugar-Update-Control (SUC).

SUC could either fall back from ASLO to microformat or be configured
to connect to either ASLO or microformat by default.

A third alternative would be to add a local-server backend.  It would
be pretty straight forward to write a script to poll ASLO for
available updates, create a text file of available update, and
download the updates to a directory.  This data could then be moved to
individual deployments as needed.

SUC could then update individual machines from a local server using
data created above.

I'll start working on abstracting out the backends today.

david

--
David Farning
Sugar Labs