[Sugar-devel] updating from aslo

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Thu Jul 16 11:09:47 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-15 at 10:17 -0500, David Farning wrote:
> Attached is a very early prototype of a sugar updater which pulls from ASLO.
>
> It kind-of works on jhbuild;-/ To test, unzip and drop it into
> sugar-jhbuild/install/share/sugar/extensions/cpsection.
>
> run using 'install/share/sugar/extensions/cpsection/updater/model.py'
>
> Big Issues:
> The GUI interface is reporting a network error.

I personally feel that this kind of approach is not a great idea, but I
suppose it depends who your target users are.

This type of setup seems inappropriate for low-bandwidth/high-latency
OLPC-style deployments, since it seems to rely on the internet. Unless
you're suggesting that people run the updates website on the school
server, in which case xs-activity-server would need to be reworked into
that, or an alternative solution developed which does not require
deployers doing too much setup.

The current updater has some nice properties in that the microformat is
simple, the surrounding infrastructure is in place for deployments (use
xs-activity-server, or maintain a .html file), and that at least with
this patch it will operate very well even without internet access:
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9259

Daniel