[Sugar-devel] Sugar on Debian

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Jul 14 10:30:59 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 02:59:03PM +0200, Sascha Silbe wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 12:32:13PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
>>Do you mean to say that GConf-DBus is currently used with
>>non-packaged Sugar, or just that it would be a cool idea to do so
>>in the future?
>sugar-jhbuild uses GConf-DBus. That's also the reason why I didn't
>encounter the problems Michael had with Rainbow, BTW.

Interesting!

Perhaps it should be mentioned at any of these places:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Source_Code
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.84/Sugar_Platform

Could you please update with the upstream URL for GConf-DBus - it
obviously seems relevant for us distro developers.

>>shell.log contains a single entry saying (in danish, my language)
>>that /home/jonas/.sugar/default/owner.key.pub does not exist.
>Can you give the exact error message?

1247575787.276922 ERROR root: Error reading public key: [Errno 2] Ingen sådan fil eller filkatalog: '/home/jonas/.sugar/default/owner.key.pub'

>You totally removed ~/.sugar beforehand, right (so it can't contain
>an owner.key.pub with wrong permissions)?

Yes.

>>Xephyr just comes up with a black screen, and after the usual pile
>>of warnings prints a couple of empty lines and then a segfault
>>message (again in danish: Lagersegmentfejl).
>Ouch. That's pretty bad.

Agreed!

>>Uncommenting all in ~/.sugar/debug there is still only that single
>>line in shell.log but a coredump is provided, coming (according to
>>"file core") from /usr/bin/sugar-session.
>sugar-session is a Python script. I haven't been able to print the
>Python stack from gdb since I upgraded to lenny, but maybe that's
>fixed in squeeze? [1] contains instructions for doing so.
>Setting the PYTHONVERBOSE env var might be a start (prints out a
>message each time a module is loaded).

See my newer post how I located the segfault to be at the import of
logger.start() in the main() loop of sugar-session.

Exporting PYTHONVERBOSE=1 in sugar rightly makes Python spew a lot of
info, but nothing new - the last thing is my custom hint and then that
same import of logger.start():

[...]
import sugar.graphics.entry # precompiled from /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/sugar/graphics/entry.pyc
# /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/jarabe/intro/colorpicker.pyc matches /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/jarabe/intro/colorpicker.py
import jarabe.intro.colorpicker # precompiled from /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/jarabe/intro/colorpicker.pyc
before log
Lagersegmentfejl

>>Output includes the following 8 Sugar-related entries:
>[...]
>OK, seems like gconf works in general. You might try removing those
>settings (sorry, no idea where they are stored) in case some old
>settings irritate Sugar. Please do a backup of the settings first so
>we can reproduce the issue if it's really the cause of your trouble.

Could you perhaps help me with some gconf command to remove it?

And do you believe it to still be relevant to try, now that I have
located the segfault as being at the logger.start() import?

>>>I hope that some users will switch from sugar-jhbuild (which is
>>>targeted to developers, not users) to Debian packages now that
>>>0.84 is available.
>>Your argument above was that 0.82 in Debian was minimal - so is 0.84.
>Sure, but there's hope of improvement. What's the state of the
>Read/Write dependencies in sid, BTW? Do they now provide what we
>need?

It seems I need to fix the Write dependency packaging myself, noone else
is working on it.  It is not as simple as adding a compile flag,
however: Debian has requirements on libraries (use of -PIC, causing
library code to require double compilation) that is not met by the
quickly thrown together hack that is libabiword.

I started working on it, but then got deeply involved in ghostscript
improvements exhausting my time availaible for packaging for several
months. :-P

>>I hope that some _developers_ will help package Sugar for Debian.
>If you mean Sugar core developers

I don't.  I simply mean that packaging is needed for it to be usable.

  - Jonas

- --