[Sugar-devel] Initial implementation of toolbars design

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat Jul 11 13:37:48 EDT 2009

On 11 Jul 2009, at 14:42, Gary C Martin wrote:

> On 11 Jul 2009, at 10:12, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>> for reference: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/
>> New_Toolbar_Design
>> eben's mockups: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Designs/Toolbars
>>
>> I had a brief look at the code. Looks like a great start and proof
>> of concept. What I think we should do now is (in the order):
>>
>> a) DESIGN: discuss the design further and get some mockups together,
>> one question that came up is: do we always have a one line secondary
>> tool bar? How would more complex widgets like the color chooser look
>> like http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:ColorToolButton.png ? Or
>> would they open from the secondary palette? Maybe we should step
>> through some of the activities and just remodel them to see what
>> would work and find out about the edge cases (think gary is already
>> working on that)
>
> Yes, I've picked TurtleArt-52 as a first test case. Almost done with
> the mock-ups, so should have them out today. Once I've done one,
> others*** will be a little quicker as I'll have the artwork/layout
> available. My goal was to use the new toolbar design WITHOUT making
> any other design decisions or changes to TA's toolbar content. It's an
> attempt at direct mapping 1-to-1 to see how much Activity rework might
> be needed, and whether this is going to turn into an exercise on
> bridge burning...

OK, here's a like-for-like swap out of the old toolbar design for the
new proposed design:

	http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Proposals/Toolbars

If only we could make the existing API build the same thing without
Activity code changes ;-)

Regards,
--Gary

P.S. As always, better icon suggestions appreciated. The icon version
of the "Share with:" palette should be carefully crafted as this will/
should appear in most Activities.

P.P.S Eben, I wanted to ask if preventing a user from making an
Activity 'private' again (after sharing), was a conscious design
choice, or just an insurmountable technical issue? One use case seems
to be sharing an Activity work in progress with a teacher and/or peer
for review, and then wanting to work on it again privately. Current UI
forces a user into a collaboration all or nothing choice.