[Sugar-devel] Initial implementation of toolbars design

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat Jul 11 09:42:22 EDT 2009

On 11 Jul 2009, at 10:12, Simon Schampijer wrote:
> for reference: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/
> New_Toolbar_Design
> eben's mockups: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Designs/Toolbars
>
> I had a brief look at the code. Looks like a great start and proof
> of concept. What I think we should do now is (in the order):
>
> a) DESIGN: discuss the design further and get some mockups together,
> one question that came up is: do we always have a one line secondary
> tool bar? How would more complex widgets like the color chooser look
> like http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:ColorToolButton.png ? Or
> would they open from the secondary palette? Maybe we should step
> through some of the activities and just remodel them to see what
> would work and find out about the edge cases (think gary is already
> working on that)

Yes, I've picked TurtleArt-52 as a first test case. Almost done with
the mock-ups, so should have them out today. Once I've done one,
others*** will be a little quicker as I'll have the artwork/layout
available. My goal was to use the new toolbar design WITHOUT making
any other design decisions or changes to TA's toolbar content. It's an
attempt at direct mapping 1-to-1 to see how much Activity rework might
be needed, and whether this is going to turn into an exercise on
bridge burning...

*** I was planning on Write next, then Calculate, then Read. Anyone
have additional suggestions on worst case candidates?

Regards,
--Gary