[Sugar-devel] Sugar as desktop os

Philippe Clérié philippe at gcal.net
Fri Jul 10 14:25:08 EDT 2009

We're located in Haiti. Sorry I left that off. And before anyone asks
:-) we're not part of the pilot that was scheduled to begin in Haiti
last year. I briefly worked with them. As far as I can tell, after
the last cabinet shuffle, the project has gone dormant. Officially, I
don't know why. Unofficially, the new Minister of Education does not
like anything started by the previous one. Or so it seems.

And thanks everyone for the responses. That was quite a few in such
a short span of time. I am now quite sure I can make it happen.

> This may not be so bad in a Montessori environment, where
> children don't all work on the same topic together. So if some
> children are using the traditional Montessori equipment, and some
> the computer, you will no doubt find a balance.

That's the plan. Use the computer as _just_ another montessori
equipment/exercise. One problem is that while I have the computer
expertise, I know next to nothing about education, and those who
have that expertise are somewhat "afraid?" of the computer.

Has there been any documented experience in a Montessori
environment? It seems to me that there is a lot of soul searching
but not much hard data.

> I will be interested to know what balance point the children come
> to. It will no doubt vary by age and perhaps other factors. That
> information would be worth an article in one of the Montessori
> publications. I volunteer to write it if you and the teachers are
> willing to collect the data.

LOL! Get in line!

But let's see what we can do. I certainly plan to document what I do
on the computer side.

--

Philippe

------
The trouble with common sense is that it is so uncommon.
<Anonymous>