[Sugar-devel] Sugar as desktop os

Bastien bastienguerry at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 10 22:32:47 EDT 2009

Hi Philippe,

Philippe Clérié <philippe at gcal.net> writes:

> We're located in Haiti. Sorry I left that off. And before anyone asks
> :-) we're not part of the pilot that was scheduled to begin in Haiti
> last year. I briefly worked with them. As far as I can tell, after
> the last cabinet shuffle, the project has gone dormant. Officially, I
> don't know why. Unofficially, the new Minister of Education does not
> like anything started by the previous one. Or so it seems.

Thanks for the news.  You may remember that I was in Haïti one year ago,
helping at the very beginning of the project.  I've been trying hard to
get some fresh information on the current status of the project, with no
luck.  I expected something like you describe, which is very sad.

The last "news" I had was this movie:

  http://olpc-france.org/blog/2009/06/olpc-haiti-deploiement-dans-une-nouvelle-ecole/

Apparently things are not stuck, just moving *very* slowly.

> One problem is that while I have the computer
> expertise, I know next to nothing about education, and those who
> have that expertise are somewhat "afraid?" of the computer.

Common pattern, I would say.  This is an issue we plan to tackle here at
OLPC France.  We have been contacting teachers and will build the Sugar
documentation in collaboration with them, with example of what they want
to do in the classrooms.

If you want to join us, just jump on this link:

Congrats for your continuous efforts.

--
 Bastien