[Sugar-devel] Nobody understands "Keep"

Greg Smith gregsmithpm at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 13:10:05 EDT 2009

Hi All,

8 months in the "tank" at 1CC sitting next to Eben, you'd think I know
how this was designed to work ;-(

I've actually read the HIG too!

I see two case here:
Case 1 - Create something in one activity and then use it right away another.
I forgot that switching to a new activity puts a copy of the old one
on the Journal (20+ e-mails on that subject alone last year!). I'll
try Paint then just switch to Memorize next time I'm in a class and
see if that works and makes sense to the kids. One additional
confusion is that Memorize has Save Game and Load Game options. You
need to create a game then save it then load it from the Journal to
play a new game you just created. Looks like the programmer for
Memorize didn't grok the HIG details on Keep either, or did they?

Case 2 - Create something in one activity then create something else
in the same activity.
The launch, create, quit, launch again work flow seems inelegant to
say the least. A New button which saves the current "file" and opens a
new blank "file" sounds like nice way to make this easier. BTW
everyone I have seen use Sugar has trouble finding the Stop button.

FYI my philosophy is that the user is never "wrong". They may do
something which results in unanticipated consequences or they may do
something which the programmer didn't intend, but its never "wrong".
If they click a few extra times or lose their data until they figure
out a way to do what they want, so be it. The tools are there to be
used as they see fit.

The trainer on the other hand should know better...

Thanks,

Greg S