[Sugar-devel] issues showing Activities for OLPC 8.2.x from a.sl.o.

S Page skierpage at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 23:17:39 EDT 2009

I want a long-lived URL that will list activities on
activities.sugarlabs.org that work on XO-1's running release 8.2.x,
and I'm confused on several points.

* Should I filter by "Refine Results > Compatible with > 0.82" , or by
choosing Advanced search > Platform: OLPC Software Release 8.2.0
(Build 767), or both?

* Refining results to 0.82 or choosing Sugar version 0.82 reduces the
results returned from 157 to 138, but choosing Platform: OLPC Software
Release 8.2.0 (Build 767) does nothing.  That doesn't make any sense,
implicitly OLPC 8.2.0 *is* Sugar version 0.82 (or, technically,
0.82.1).

* I'm pretty sure the filtering on version is broken.  Etoys, Read,
and Terminal seem to offer the same download regardless of version,
but I believe they have different versions for 8.2.x and later
Sucrose.
Filtering for 0.82 only seems to exclude experimental downloads like
APRS, Bundle, Frotz, etc.

* In Advanced search > Platform, there's no choice for the latest OLPC
version, OLPC 8.2.1 (Build 802). Maybe the Platform option should be
OLPC Software Release 8.2.x , and leave out "Build 767" ?

* In the Advanced search dialog, having "Sugar Platform version" and
"Platform" is confusing.  I think leave "Platform" out of "Sugar
version".

* The feedback in search results if you use Advanced is poor.  It
doesn't show what advanced search constraints are on (they could be
given after the text "Showing 1 - 20 of 157 results for Platform: xxx
and versions: NN".  Sometimes the page seems to forget what you've
chosen, and sometimes refining results to limit to 0.82 doesn't change
the count.

* Using Browse in 8.2.1 on XO-1 and Firefox on a desktop, the Browse
version offered to me has a clipped
   Download Now (OLPC Software Release 8.2.0 (Build 767))
button, only "Download Now (OLPC ..." is visible.  I guess the (
and &#41 are the '(' and ')' from the platform.  I filed
http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1020

* How is a.sl.o knowing to offer this Browse version to me?  It and
"Software to work with scales and chords on musical instruments." are
the only activities that have this "Download Now (OLPC..." button.

Aleksey Sim wrote
> * New ASLO check user agent string for SugarPlatform version in format:
> "Sugar Labs/<major-version>.<minor-version>"
> for example "Sugar Labs/0.84" and add hints to download button
* How do I know if this check is in place?
* It seems both my browsers  offer me Browse version
http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/downloads/latest/4024/platform:7/addon-4024-latest.xo
, does platform:7 in the URL indicate the the OLPC Software Release
version?

* I want to compare the activity versions that a.sl.o offers for OLPC
8.2.0 / Sugar 0.82 with the versions splattered all over
wiki.laptop.org.  Is there a way to get a.sl.o to return results in
some other format, like text or an XML structure?

Many thanks, I hope my comments are useful.
Who thought of using the addons.mozilla.org codebase for a.sl.o?
Stroke of genius!
--
=S Page