[Sugar-devel] addons.mozilla.org - what needs to be done?

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Thu Jan 29 13:56:06 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 6:48 AM, Mel Chua <mel at melchua.com> wrote:
> Ok, I think Tomeu and I caught up tonight and I'm ready to keep pushing this
> forward, so... *tinkers with
> http://sugarlabs.org/go/ActivityTeam/Remora_port*
>
> Time for the questions.
>
> 1. There are a few instances of remora running on sunjammer. Which one is
> the one under active development/test? (Or is it expected that people will
> be developing/testing on their local machines right now? I believe we should
> be using one common instance, but am not positive.)
>
> addons.sugarlabs.org
> addons-testing.sugarlabs.org
> addons-devel.sugarlabs.org

I have been trying to get these simplified this week.  Please see
http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/The_Complicator_0x27_s_Gloves.aspx

The master aslo repo is at git://git.sugarlabs.org/slo-addons/mainline.git .

addons, addons-testing, addons-devel are running on Sunjammer as the
production, testing, and devel branches.

Each stage has its own user, addons, addons-testing, and addons-devel,
and its own database.

> 2. How do people get access to play with it? (rw privileges in the virtual
> host dir and access to the mysql db, what else is needed?) Tomeu checked and
> it seems to be owned by the www-data group rather than the addons group (and
> it's also not clear how to get added to the addons group).

We need to ask bernie to look at the permissions and arrange it so
that we can give developers access to addons, addons-test,
addons-devel.  I believe that it will be easy to grant that access.
It is beyond my admin-foo.

> Concrete example: http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/256 is an easy bug (text
> replacement) and I can fix it myself in a jiffy, given the right privs. Can
> someone walk me through getting those privs / making that commit?
>
> 3. If you break the live instance under test, what subset of the
> instructions on http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/a.s.o must be run
> (by whom / with what privs) to restore it to its former glory?

1. delete the instance
2. git clone from master
3. checkout correct branch for the instance
4. svn pull the vendor stuff
5. recreate the tmp dir stuff
6. install the config.ph

> Answers to all these things will, of course, be documented on the wiki. ;)
> I'll be on IRC from Catalyst tomorrow looking for people who can help with
> this... (hi dfarning!)
>
> --Mel
>
> PS: php/mysql wizards welcomed, and testers will be needed soon!

Jason Woofenden CCed is our resident php wizard. I am not sure how
much time he will have to put into the project.... He might need
bribing.

At this point I believe that tomeu, wadeb, and I have commit access to
the repo and tomeu, bernie and I have access to the necessary users on
Sunjammer.

Status - addons, addons-testing, and addons-devel are all running a
code straight from the upstream mozilla tree.

Todo
1. Fix permissions.  --Bernie?

2.  Continue to push original patch upstream to Mozilla. --Jason

3.  Tomeu made a set of set of patches that we need to add on at a
time to the devel branch.

4.  Modify the testing branch so that the ActivityTeam can access the
aslo admin web interfaces.  This should help allow them to figure out
activity work flow.

5.  Start hacking.

I will be around for another 24 hours.  Then I am off the spend the
weekend and part of next week at a monastery with a retired COO who as
offered to mentor me.  While the pay at Sugar Labs is not competitive
with market rates;(  The opportunity for personal growth are pretty
good:)

david