[Sugar-devel] thoughts on embedding web activities

Erik Blankinship erikb at mediamods.com
Tue Jan 27 13:52:05 EST 2009

I've some follow up thoughts and questions after reading this post from
Tomeu regarding how to best empower web developers and embed gnash/flash.

http://blog.tomeuvizoso.net/2009/01/embedding-mozilla.html

   - What is the best implementation and interface for javascript to talk to
   activity subclasses?
   - In the past I have created web server instances within my activities.
       One of the main benefits of this approach was that javascript
authors could
      work in a way familiar to them (ajax calls, comet calls, etc.
that talk to a
      server).  The hope was to take advantage of as many existing javascript
      libraries as possible.
      - Others approaches?  Benefits?  Drawbacks?
   - Regardless of implementation, what would a standard interface from
   javascript to activity look like?  Function-call and primitives as
   variables?  What would this API need?
   - Regarding embedding gnash/flash, I would advocate javascript as the
   pathway from as2/as3 calls to the activity so that the javascript serves as
   a foundation for other plugins.