[Sugar-devel] Problem running Sugar on openSUSE 11.0

Jigish Gohil cyberorg at opensuse.org
Tue Jan 27 23:12:32 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 8:49 PM, James Simmons
<jim.simmons at walgreens.com> wrote:
> Jigish,
>
> I am convinced that my installation of openSUSE 11.1 is messed up and my
> best option is to do a fresh install rather than an upgrade.  David Fanning
> had asked me to do a ./sugar-jhbuild depscheck and the only way I could run
> that was to do a git-clone of sugar-jhbuild first.  When I tried to do that
> I got a message saying that git-clone was not found, yet YAST and rpm -V
> both said that git-core (which YAST showed as containing that command) was
> installed.  The file was definitely missing though.  I'm guessing that

No, new git uses "git clone" instead of "git-clone"

> something similar is happening with python-telepathy.  I also find that
> neither of the DVD burning apps that come with the distro can recognize my
> DVD burner, but I have no trouble mounting DVDs on it.  11.0 also had some
> odd problems that I thought upgrading to 11.1 had fixed, but apparently some
> problems remain.

For DVD burning the issue is known, add your user to "disk" group.

> Tonight I'll do the clean install and run your zypper commands again and
> I'll let you know how it went.  Thanks,

OK, as I said, running the commands listed on the wiki got sugar
running here. Use sugar-emulator command instead of Xephyr commands I
posted before.

You can always drop in IRC Freenode #sugar if you need help, that
would probably be faster.

Good luck

-J