[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Flash at Sugar Labs

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Sun Jan 4 23:24:43 EST 2009

On Jan 4, 2009, at 9:23 PM, Wade Brainerd wrote:

> Personally, I don't believe that Sugar Labs the organization needs
> to be concerned with any of these four points.
Ahh, but a recurring question from existing Sugar deployments is how
to get Flash, why Flash doesn't run faster, etc.

> The question is whether the Sugar *software* is flexible enough to
> adapt to the needs of its users.  Who are we to say what they
> should install, and what tools they should use to make their content?
The question is what answer you provide to this crucial question.

How crucial ?  Any (non-x86) processor design hoping to for MID/
settop/laptop market penetration is
paying Adobe to support them from day one.  One day, we hope they
will instead pay someone
to port Gnash + codecs instead...

> Currently Sugar is incapable of running software which is not
> specifically designed for it.
Sugar runs simpler SWF applications just fine, through the Browser.
They don't have to be
"designed" for Sugar.