[Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Porting Kandid to the Sugar the desktop environment

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Feb 23 05:19:37 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 09:27, Behavior Vehikel
<b.vehikel at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Kandid is a system to evolve graphics. It uses an interactive genetic
> approach to find interesting visual patterns. This idea comes
> originally from Karls Sims. Some years ago I published a Java
> application based on this idea. http://kandid.sourceforge.net/  Now I
> am planing to build a similar program for Sugar and OLPC. This version
> of Kandid will use Sugar's collaborative capabilities. Instead of an
> direct port I will rewrite some parts of Kandid in a way more suitable
> for children and taking in account the limited hardware resources of
> the OLPC XO. At the moment I have no access to an OLPC XO computer.
> Therefore the Suguar emulator on Ubuntu will be used. And I hope that
> other people can test it on a real OLPC XO computer. First release is
> planed end of 2009.

Sounds awesome!

Running a soas image on kvm-qemu may be quite convenient, though you
may need to have some way to take into account the slower hardware of
the XO and its big resolution (1200x900). Would be important as well
to take into account the amount of memory available on the XO (256MB).

You can probably get a XO from OLPC through their developers program,
should be documented on their wiki.

One question: do you plan to rewrite it to python or other language,
or modify the current java code?

Regards,

Tomeu