[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] activites known not to either work at all or not on certin platforms

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 09:29:52 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 16:22, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 03:57:22AM +0100, David Van Assche wrote:
>>you know what the irony is with all this... all we need to do to get
>>those packs working is type ./configure --with-libabiword
>>
>>I know because I took the painful step of doing it in from source...
>>this problem has now existed for 8 months... u tell me if that is
>>acceptable or not. u know the worst part of this entire debacle...
>>only the packzge ,aintainer can fix this 2 second fix::: but obviously
>>he has more important things to do.
>
> The one-line fix works only on combined compile and working environment.
>
> It takes slightly more to _package_ a library properly.
>
> The "important things" holding back Debian from fixing this at the
> moment is to actually release the 20-something-thousand packages as a
> whole.
>
> For Ubuntu the problem seems (from bugreports tagging the issue as fixed
> and then unfixed again) that the people actually working on "running
> ahead of Debian" for this specific issue are unskilled in packaging
> libraries.

Jonas,

I'm rather unskilled at packaging myself. However, somebody's got to
do it, and when I made noise about it nobody else stepped up.

Ubuntu has a feature freeze in 8 days. We'll do what we can. No, we'll
do what we have to.

BTW if you have any comments on the packaging of abiword or pyabiword,
please speak up - here, or the debian or ubuntu lists. If possible,
I'd like to fix this in a way that we can sync back with you after
lenny releases...

Regards
Morgan