[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] activites known not to either work at all or not on certin platforms

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Feb 11 11:11:13 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 04:29:52PM +0200, Morgan Collett wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 16:22, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 03:57:22AM +0100, David Van Assche wrote:
>>>you know what the irony is with all this... all we need to do to get
>>>those packs working is type ./configure --with-libabiword
>>>
>>>I know because I took the painful step of doing it in from source...
>>>this problem has now existed for 8 months... u tell me if that is
>>>acceptable or not. u know the worst part of this entire debacle...
>>>only the packzge ,aintainer can fix this 2 second fix::: but
>>>obviously he has more important things to do.
>>
>> The one-line fix works only on combined compile and working
>> environment.
>>
>> It takes slightly more to _package_ a library properly.
>>
>> The "important things" holding back Debian from fixing this at the
>> moment is to actually release the 20-something-thousand packages as a
>> whole.
>>
>> For Ubuntu the problem seems (from bugreports tagging the issue as
>> fixed and then unfixed again) that the people actually working on
>> "running ahead of Debian" for this specific issue are unskilled in
>> packaging libraries.
>
>Jonas,
>
>I'm rather unskilled at packaging myself. However, somebody's got to
>do it, and when I made noise about it nobody else stepped up.
>
>Ubuntu has a feature freeze in 8 days. We'll do what we can. No, we'll
>do what we have to.
>
>BTW if you have any comments on the packaging of abiword or pyabiword,
>please speak up - here, or the debian or ubuntu lists. If possible,
>I'd like to fix this in a way that we can sync back with you after
>lenny releases...

I apologize if I made you look bad (or worse than you are :-) ). I did
not intend to point fingers, only to describe current state of affairs.

When I saw your attempt at fixing the issue I wondered how you could
manage to provide a library without the whole shabang of lib* and
lib*-dev packages. It actually made me pull the Debian sources of
abiword and spend some time trying to come up with an elegant, minimal
patch for the Debian abiword packaging. It turned out to be simple (for
me), and after some time I got distracted and have not found/taken time
to look at it again since then...

Yes, I won't keep it to myself if I find a solution to this.

But I will most probably not work on Ubuntu-specific hacks, as I find
such work a duplication of effort.

  - Jonas

- --