[Sugar-devel] A small request.

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 17:30:29 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> pull it back on list), but while trying to follow this thread I'd been
> assuming one of the XS functions is as an http proxy cache server (squid or
> some such). This wouth then help reduce common internet traffic via caching;
> one person downloads new version of TurtleArt, it's sitting in cache for the
> rest of the class/school.

Oh, yes it does have an http proxy (and yours is a good question).

However, think about an XS that has no internet connection or an
incredibly bad internet connection. The regional "sysadmin" team will
have made sure that the XS has all the relevant activities (supplied
at install time, or or via a USB stick). Those activities are not in
their "canonical place"... they actually are at
http://schoolserver/activities/

So we have 2 options

1 - the activity updater on the client side tries
http://schoolserver/activities *first* before trying other urls
2 - it goes directly to the "correct" url, and we hope that the XS
knows all the relevant "correct" urls (activities have their "update
url" in their metadata)

If you count on activities coming from a limited number of sources,
maybe the XS can know them all. But if we succeed and there are a
million activity authors out there, the 'cheatsheet' approach breaks
down.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions