[Sugar-devel] Service announcement scheme - (Re: A small request.)

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Mon Feb 2 15:28:20 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at laptop.org> wrote:
> C. Scott Ananian wrote:
>> This is irrelevant, really.  Protocols are designed with certain
>> assumptions.  Those assumptions (mostly having to do with the behavior
>> and cost of broadcasts) were true when the protocols were designed,
>> and are no longer true today.  This is the way of all software, it's
>> not unique to 802.11s in some way.
>
> You make it look like there was an alternative to broadcasts in a peer
> to peer network, but I don't see any way out unless you want to have
> "master browsers" with elections in the best Windows workgroup tradition.

I think you've left the topic.  You also seem to be trying to solve
five different problems at once, without acknowledging that the
solutions might be different (even if the abstraction is the same).

> Anyway, stuff that doesn't exist yet.

What? WfW was just a nightmare?  Whew.

>>> Wait, are you perhaps suggesting to use DDNS to publish those services
>>> on a nameserver running on the XS?
>>
>> That is how DNS-SD works, yes.
>
> I do not understand the security side of it, and how old records get
> garbage collected unless you do a periodic refresh.

Research, young butterfly.  I'm not finding this thread very useful, sorry.
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )