[Sugar-devel] SarynPaint: a Java program packaged for the OLPC

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 12:21:52 EDT 2009

Tomeu,

I have to agree with you on this point.  I program in Java for a
living, and never programmed in Python before I got my XO.  I can do
Java in my sleep, especially with the Eclipse IDE.  Every time I need
to add a feature to my Activities I think about how I'd do it in Java
then translate that to Python.  I constantly wish that Eric had code
completion features anywhere near as good as I had in Eclipse.  If
anyone would benefit from having Java supported in Sugar it would be
me.

I don't want it.

I don't think there is an Activity you could write In Java that you
could not write in Python.  The Python version would perform better,
would use less memory, would integrate with Sugar better, would
probably have fewer lines of code, and would not require a 75+ mb
runtime.  Most importantly, children wanting to learn to program would
be much better served if most of the Activities they might want to
study the code for were written in Python, rather than a bunch of
different languages.  Python is a good language for beginners.

If the author of SarynPaint doesn't want to maintain two versions he
might rewrite it in Python and abandon the original.

James Simmons