[Sugar-devel] SarynPaint: a Java program packaged for the OLPC

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Aug 31 12:35:32 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 18:21, Jim Simmons<nicestep at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tomeu,
>
> I have to agree with you on this point.  I program in Java for a
> living, and never programmed in Python before I got my XO.  I can do
> Java in my sleep, especially with the Eclipse IDE.  Every time I need
> to add a feature to my Activities I think about how I'd do it in Java
> then translate that to Python.  I constantly wish that Eric had code
> completion features anywhere near as good as I had in Eclipse.  If
> anyone would benefit from having Java supported in Sugar it would be
> me.

Actually, both Marco and me used to code in Java before Sugar and the
current Sugar code-base still has some Java-isms.

I personally like Java and miss its staticness, but I also learned to
love python's dynamicness ;)

But what is most important for me in Sugar is Python's hackability.

Regards,

Tomeu

Farning