[Sugar-devel] The ARM is near

Lucian Branescu lucian.branescu at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 13:41:31 EDT 2009

I suggested pre-parsed code mostly to get rid of dependency on headers
and other source packages; a bit like a JIT that always compiles and
caches everything. LLVM IR in particular is just a high lever
assembler, so it could be distributed without any dependencies (even
on build tools).

There's also the small advantage that developers get to not only
parse, but optimise the code beforehand, so code generation on a
production machine should be rather fast. This whole idea may be too
complex for its own good, though.

As for more conventional compilation strategies, I think it would be
best if Sugar itself to compiled all the code from the bundle on
installation, instead of leaving it to the activity. Then, the
activity developer simply includes all the C source and headers, much
the way one would include python source.