[Sugar-devel] The ARM is near

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Sat Aug 29 12:08:43 EDT 2009

2009/8/29 Philippe Clérié <philippe at gcal.net>:
> Your points are well taken and generally I agree with them. Except
> that I never suggested you should "abandon upstream development".
> Sugar is your calling card, your differentiator, your trademark, your
> value added... etc, etc, etc. It's what make you, you. :-) I would
> never think of abandoning it.
>
> I also differ on the question of attracting more people. I think more
> focus is better than less, but I am willing to suspend disbelief.
> But that gives me an opportunity to bring up a point that I find much
> more interesting. I believe Sugar has a peculiar problem to solve.
>
> You need to somehow bring together educators and developpers around
> a particular philosophy of education. The intersection of those sets
> appears to be a very small set.

I would like to add one nuance to this.  The success of Sugar Labs
depends a _union_ of educators and developers sharing a common mission
and vision that Sugar, and any associated hardware, is a viable,
useful, and cost effective teaching tools.

Your statement is currently correct.  Many Sugar Labs participants sit
at the intersection of open source developers and educators.  This
will continue to be true until: a. Sugar is easy enough for educator
to use as  cost effective teaching tool. and b. Sugar Labs, as a
project, is a viable enough to engage, and empower smart, passionate
developers.

My faith in in the feasibility of Sugar Labs is that the conditions a
and b are circular dependencies.  A great project will create a great
product and a great product will create a  great project.

david