[Sugar-devel] clash of user- and system-installed activities (was: Release Physics-3)

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Aug 28 17:36:24 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:15:09PM +0100, Gary C Martin wrote:

>On 28 Aug 2009, at 21:42, Walter Bender wrote:

>>> Is this an issue specific to SoaS and/or Physics, or generally a
>>> limitation of current Sugar that older system-installed Activities
>>> disturb newer user-installed ones?
>>>
>>> (or did I get it wrong that that was the actual issue here?)
>>>

>> I think you got it right.

Thanks for the confirmation, Walter :-)

>Dave reported (off-list) that a manual deletion of v2, reboot, and
>then install of v3 worked fine. My radar was going off regarding the
>addition of MIME support, as I have a few hairs standing up on the
>back of my neck about how Sugar deals with that step. Almost no
>activities except pre-installed Fructose have exercised this code path
>much, sugar-install-bundle was doing odd things as I was having to
>reboot for the activity to show up, so I assume it was silently
>borking some place, but installing an .xo via Journal (equiv. Browse
>download) was running just fine.

Not quite sure I understand this fully, but seems to be tied to b tied
to doing system installs directly into the running system - as opposed
to installing into a packaging environment and use that for the final
install.

In other words, I will try to keep this in the back of my head but for
now don't expect it to be a problem for Debian-packages Sugar
activities.

thanks for elaborating!

  - Jonas