[Sugar-devel] SOAS on Dell mini inspiron 10

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 06:31:50 EDT 2009

Hi Russell,

> I just bought a Dell mini 10 to try SOAS on. I usually run SOAS on an
> ASUS 701 and it all works lovely. On the Dell mini 10 the trackpad is
> incredibly (unusabley) sensitive. Also the wireless networking is not
> working. I bought the mini 10 with the upgraded Dell wireless 1510
> half mini card (802.1n). If I boot into the pre-installed Ubuntu 8.04
> the wireless networking works (and the trackpad is not mental).

I presume you got the Dell Mini 10v (not the plain 10). The plain 10
has a gma-500 Poulsbo graphics chipset and isn't supported. The 10v
has the well supported gma-950 chipset.

> My questions are:
>
> 1) Is there a HLC for SOAS?

Not sure what a HLC is.

> 2) Is there a way to set the trackpad sensitivity with SOAS?

Not sure its possible from sugar but you might be able to run
gnome-mouse-properties from the terminal and set the trackpad stuff
there.

> 3) Is there a way to trouble shoot the wireless network card issue?

With regards to the wireless the Broadcom chipset isn't well supported
but you might like to try to install the b43-openfwwf package as its a
firmware that supports some broadcom chips. "yum install -y
b43-openfwwf" I would be very interested to know if/how it works with
that chipset. I've also heard of people buying an intel wifi m-pci
card off ebay and swapping them out..

> I'm not a total linux noob but I am not a sys admin or a linux systems
> developer (I've learnt through struggling through really). I've
> googled for SOAS on the dell mini 10. There are some articles about
> the mini 9 but nothing I have seen is relevant to my issues.

The mini 9 and the 10v are quite similar hardware wise so there should
be some useful information.

> If I get it sorted I will certainly write up a blog post about it so
> that the Dell mini 10 can be seen as a viable platform for Sugar. At
> less then 200 quid for a 10 inch netbook it would seem to be a good
> target platform.

Excellent. It would also be useful if you could register a smolt
profile for it so we can fully document the specs. You can do this by
"yum install -y smolt" and then running the command smoltSendProfile
to register the hardware. If then provides you a public url.

Regards,
Peter