[Sugar-devel] RFH - Journal corruption reports fom 8.2.1

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Fri Aug 21 04:08:51 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 08:23, Martin Langhoff<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Jim Simmons<nicestep at gmail.com> wrote:
>> For what it's worth, I've experienced this running the Sugar test
>> environment in both Fedora 10 and 11.  It would not seem to be
>> specific to .82.  The way to reproduce the problem is to run the Sugar
>> environment in Xephyr (sugar-emulator).  Do some stuff, then instead
>> of shutting down cleanly click on the "close" button on the Xephyr
>> window.  That will close your Sugar session and practically guarantee
>> that the next time you open it your Sugar Journal will be empty.  I
>> regret to say that I've done this a few times.
>
> That's not very encouraging. I "switch off" my XO, running 8.2.x
> (which is 0.82.x of Sugar) all the time by removing the battery, which
> is a much harsher method than what you describe (which is merely a
> SIGTERM).
>
> Sugar 0.84 has seen a reimplementation of the Datastore (by Tomeu?)
> and I am sure he'll be interested in this. Avoiding dataloss and
> generally being atomic is always one of the most important aspects of
> the DS.
>
> I can't cast the first stone[1] but I do want to say: any
> Journal-related dataloss is a major concern. Let's report it, and
> diagnose it. I have only seen dataloss on SoaS, but related to vfat /
> overlay corruption (widely discussed).

The new DS has a design that is supposed to be very robust to any
partial data losses. That said, any bug in the implementation could
still cause total data loss. I have fixed all known such bugs, but
myself alone cannot reproduce all possible situations.

So please, when anyone finds that the contents of their journal
disappears in a release of Sugar posterior to 0.84, enter a bug _and_
attach the shell.log and datastore.log files.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/BugSquad/Get_Logs

Thanks,

Tomeu

> cheers,

> 1 - The very early XS images _repartition & format your hard drive
> soon after booting, without asking for permission_. I fixed it as soon
> as I could move to a better installer. Still, it managed to eat
> someone's HD. Shame on me.
> --
>  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
>  martin at laptop.org -- School Server Architect
>  - ask interesting questions
>  - don't get distracted with shiny stuff  - working code first
>  - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Martinlanghoff

Farning