[Sugar-devel] RFH - Journal corruption reports fom 8.2.1

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Fri Aug 21 08:45:42 EDT 2009

On 21 Aug 2009, at 07:23, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Jim Simmons<nicestep at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> For what it's worth, I've experienced this running the Sugar test
>> environment in both Fedora 10 and 11.  It would not seem to be
>> specific to .82.  The way to reproduce the problem is to run the
>> Sugar
>> environment in Xephyr (sugar-emulator).  Do some stuff, then instead
>> of shutting down cleanly click on the "close" button on the Xephyr
>> window.  That will close your Sugar session and practically guarantee
>> that the next time you open it your Sugar Journal will be empty.  I
>> regret to say that I've done this a few times.
>
> That's not very encouraging. I "switch off" my XO, running 8.2.x
> (which is 0.82.x of Sugar) all the time by removing the battery, which
> is a much harsher method than what you describe (which is merely a
> SIGTERM).

FWIW, I'm having to close Xephyr quite frequently (5+ times a day)
here – with no data loss. Under F11 sugar-jhbuild and the switch to
Metacity (0.85.x) I'm getting quite regular 'black Xephyrs of death',
usually (I think) just after stopping an activity – this leads me to
pull up the F11 task bar and use it to close Xephyr so I can start
again.

Regards,
--Gary