[Sugar-devel] [karma] early draft of karma presentation

Felipe López Toledo zer.subzero at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 22:01:50 EDT 2009

Hi guys

Joshua, Bryan has talked Christoph and me about you, thanks for writing :)

* I would update the slide "Nobody Wants to Help", to something like, "Flash
> is a poor longterm solution." I would drop the claim "Flash Devs don't like
> to share." I would
>   - Despite the great work of the free software community on projects like
> Gnash and the GameSWF library, there is very little in terms of sharing and
> collaboration of free software Flash projects.

+1

mmm, I remember MTASC http://www.mtasc.org/

> instead almost all Flash development is done through the proprietary
> software created by Macromedia.

+1

Bryan, really good draft, here some initial feedback:

1. SVG vs canvas
I used RaphalJS (http://raphaeljs.com/) demos to test SVG animatios using
Browse and Surf,
results:
under surf: the XO crashed several times :(
under Browse: the animations look really good, but the performance is really
bad (you will get a several lag when clicking something, etc...)

canvas is low level so, canvas drawing is faster than SVG drawing.
about manipulation, well, It's really easy to manipulate SVG Objects
(everything you draw is an object) but canvas is just a box where you can
draw, Karma provides (some of) that objects.

2. why not processingjs?
processingjs by default uses processing language, then if you want to use it
you'll need to learn processing syntax... to support that syntax,
processingjs uses a parser, so, it's slower than simple JS.
in fact, you can use javascript to access processingjs objects, but.. the
actual processingjs library is not designed to work under the XO, neither to
work as a jQuery plugin.
I think jresig doesn't encourage to use processing (syntax), he just take
processing because processing was there (looking for the reference)

I will add more info on the technical stuff.

regards

--
Felipe López Toledo