[Sugar-devel] Assessment in Karma

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 07:32:58 EDT 2009

2009/7/29 Christoph Derndorfer <christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com>:
> As previously mentioned by Bryan in his "Automated Assessment is the Killer
> App" blog post
> (http://karmaproject.wordpress.com/2009/07/06/assessment-is-the-killer-app/)
> student assessment is an important component of Karma.
> Now I was wondering whether anyone here had specific suggestions on how to
> address this or pointers to how other e-learning solutions (regardless of
> whether stand-alone applications or Web based) solve this interesting
> challenge.

Yup - from moodle-land... my original notes are in this email from
earlier this year
http://www.mail-archive.com/sugar-devel@lists.sugarlabs.org/msg05584.html

Super short recap, with bonus links...

 - Recommended: look at what SCORM objects store in the LMS backend
(the "datamodel")  -- grab the API docs and look for cmi.score.raw
cmi.progress_measure -- the full listing is here, but it is missing
the full discussion of the meaning of each value:
http://www.scorm.com/scorm-explained/technical-scorm/run-time/run-time-reference/

 - Recommended: look at Moodle's Grades API http://docs.moodle.org/en/Grades

Both APIs have been designed trying to represent many ways of grading
and scoring. I would try to fit with one of those rather than spend
precious years revisiting mistakes :-)

 - Automatic assessment is snake oil, Bryan is well intentioned but
deeply wrong. See the earlier email at
http://www.mail-archive.com/sugar-devel@lists.sugarlabs.org/msg05584.html

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com