[Sugar-devel] Bundling libraries, RPMs? (was Re: WatchMe-1, a VNC activity)

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Aug 17 16:16:27 EDT 2009

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) wrote:
> (and « because we can't ask the user the root password » is not a
> valid excuse, see PolicyKit)

In an LTSP environment, no sysadmin is going to choose a policy that
allows users to install packages, even trusted packages, to the root
system, or otherwise make any sort of modification that cannot be
trivially and reliably wiped clean.  PolicyKit will work fine, in that it
will happily enforce the policy, which is "no installation allowed".

We want to live in a world where software is mutable and controlled by the
user.  That means every user needs to be able to install, and modify,
software as they choose, without affecting others.  There are many ways
that we could achieve this, too many for me to list here, but PolicyKit
alone is not enough.

--Ben